Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Day Late and a Dollar . . .

This blog post is a day late - and do you know why?  It's because I've been busy. 

And do you know why?  Because I'm a finish carpenter - among other things - and Spring is always a busy time.

Over the past few weeks, I've either been working in my shop or out on jobs.  And when I'm not doing either of those things, I've been working up estimates for clients in addition to running my second business, computer drafting, and getting started on my life-long goal of being an architect. 

I'm working 10+ hours a day in addition to putting in my Awesome Dad time with  Ryann - and my housekeeper's been on vacation for a month and the place still looks pretty good.  

Read that again.

Now read it a third time.

Did it sink in yet?

I am working 10+ hours a day, being an awesome Dad to my daughter and keeping up with my house. 

And do you know why?

It's because my body is recovering and I feel so freaking fabulous!! 

Two months ago, I wasn't working at all and now I'm working like crazy.  Two months ago, I didn't think I'd ever really become an architect and now I'm applying to the University of Penn (if you know anyone in admissions or the School of Architecture, please put in a good work for me).

I'm not saying all of this is easy - it's not.  At the end of the day I am definitely tired and need to sleep.  At the end of a couple of days I am wiped out and need to sleep a lot (which is why this blog is late - I was in bed about 3 minutes after Ryann last night.  There was just no way my brain or body was going to do anything more).   It isn't easy, but because I am recovering, it is all possible.

I've had some questions about the details of my recovery, so here you go.  Please note that the stuff I list here isn't even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to all of the perks MS has brought me - these are just the areas in which I've noticed the most dramatic improvement.

My left foot is no longer completely numb.  I can move my foot and toes freely and without pain.  When I first regained motion in my toes it hurt a good bit.  Not any more.

My right eye is getting better.  For a long time, the vision in my right eye was consistently blurry with the bonus of always feeling like there was sand in my eye.  The sandy feeling is not as bad and my vision is slowly getting better - and the blurriness is more intermittent now.

My energy level is through the roof.  Although I need to pace myself and make sure I'm eating often, I no longer feel like I need to nap about 15 times just to make it through the day.

My skin looks great.  Betty commented that I was 'glowing' after the first week of recovery, but now it seems everyone is noticing.  I've even had guys tell me that my face just looks 'healthy' (and for a guy to say anything, you know it must be obvious).  Of course, I can't help but wonder just how bad I looked pre-recovery . . . but I digress.

My mental attitude is phenomenal.  My optimism and belief that the world is a bright, wonderful place and that my future is awesome are infectious.  One of the fabulous side effects of MS is depression, which can really screw with your life.  Thankfully, I have never had issues with depression per se, but there have been periods of darkness.  Not any more.

So there you have it.  Your latest dose of Joe is posted and in your hands.  Have a fabulous week - I know I will!

Life is good!

Falling down, I've reached my highest line. 
I've got a good idea what breaks you makes you shine.
                          --The Catherine Wheel

1 comment:

  1. We are very happy you are back to being yourself.
    We missed you.

    ReplyDelete